Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Life and Death of a Bohemian By Sean McElwain-Wilson

Paragraph One, Solace.

I stared, mesmerized at the vivid display written on the sky above.An array of stars, distant and bright lit up the panorama.The lake before me erected an exact replica of me, he smiled and I smiled back.Age had taken its toll on me, it ravaged my body, toyed with its very existence, and now after so long, had left my soul to live in a decrepit husk.”The has hollowed me out and wearied me, but here I stand, right here, right now.’’ I felt at peace, all worries now a memory, the grass offered me some hospitality as I lay. A tall, thin figure blocked the light and the stars receded.Solace stood before me and offered his hand.With no hesitation, I took it, half-heartedly, not knowing what to expect...The world spun, its fabric contorted and blackening, then it escaped into a void of black...

Paragraph 2, Betrayal

In the blink of an eye, the world regained colour, however this one was different.It was a marble chamber surrounded with tapestries and paintings of legend.A force threw me to the ground...I looked up at the ceiling, a lone figure meet my gazed along the way.His cloak obscured my perception of him, his face shrouded with mystery.An eerie presence hung over the creature, like a cloud of fog.Something wasn’t right, then it hit me...The room flashed and briefly disappeared into a hazy white light, I rubbed my eyes, Solace had gone, leaving me and my disorientation and the same cloak-clad figure.A rusty scythe gravitated into his skeletal hand.It was then, with fatal realization that I knew I was meeting my demise...

Paragraph 3, Into the Unknown

“Welcome, old one.”The voice resonated all around.”Move towards the light.” It said.A void of bone white enclosed this mysterious plain.”Who are you?”I said, my voice a mere squeak by comparison. “I am not man, nor woman, it replied in a reserved tone.”Walk towards the light,” it repeated.I made pace, flooded with great apprehension.The rift escape warped and shone brighter on my arrival, as if to greet me.”Here Goes...” I thought.The rift became impatient, I had no time, with no precaution, I leaped...

Paragraph 4, Reality Once More

Cough, cough! Croaked my Lungs.My throat wheezed and spat, as if I had been suffocated with ashes.Men, clad in protective suits and gas masks stood, speaking an alien language.”Welcome back,”they echoed.They took out a syringe, filled to the brim with a flourescent green fluid.My eyes darted across the room, they stopped, dead in their tracks at a vial, a vial saying TOXIC.A hallowing cry jumped from my mouth, my cry died into a howl of agony.Everything fell silent, then I saw, that small, glass needle protruding from my arm. The world took a turn to the worse.Shadows sprung from the ceiling above and circled my dilapidated body.I couldn’t watch, I couldn’t stand this, I wanted to be home, with my family. The ghouls let off a high-pitched scream and bound at me...

I woke, gasping for precious air. My nightmarish encounter was over, and the feeling of safety and comfort stuck like condensation. My eyes returned to sight and saw Solace sitting next to me, I smiled, and she smiled back...

The End

No comments: