Monday, August 11, 2008

Stranger on the Loose - Character by Andre Chumko

My rusty Suzuki was vibrating calmly, almost purring, as I see a Hitchhiker thumbing for travel. I pulled my car up, almost 3 millimetres away from him. He didn’t even flinch. He knocked fiercely on the smoggy window-pane and blurted out these words in a frustrated manor: “Can I get in already”? In a shallow, low-pitched tone of voice coming from hairy lips that were dry, and the surrounding face, badly shaven. He was wearing black, shiny sunglasses, a beanie that was a musty grey colour, very tattered and bold. A black woollen sweater, with patchwork on the left hand side of his pocket, almost right by his leather gloves, which looked expensive. I quickly analysed him without being suspicious and muttered back to him with a daft expression: “Sure mate”. His belt was a crackling black shade that squeaked whenever he moved. It had a polished silver ring in the middle of it. And he scrambled hastily into my vehicle, as if he were startled by something. I felt like exploding! His deodorant smell was hideous! I wanted to have an argument with him right now. But I couldn’t. I was too afraid. He looked like he had some sort of weapon, and he could strike me at any time.

Andre Chumko

1 comment:

Teaching Sagittarian said...

Andre, I'm a Grade 5 teacher in Bangkok, Thailand (but I am from NZ). I can't wait to show your writing to my new class of Grade 5's that start their school year in August 2009. You have done a fabulous job of painting a picture in my head of your character, the hitchhiker. I'm hooked and I want to know more! Well done! I'm especially impressed at how you haven't over-done the descriptive words!
Ms H (ISB Bangkok)