Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hitchhiker

Daes - By Samantha Gorham
(Focus on character)


My car cruises smoothly across the long and old road. Mailboxes and driveways rush past. I begin to see a dot of a person in the distance. The hitchhiker has a look in her husky eyes that says ‘Another car speeding past’, so I stop. “Thanks for stopping,” her clear voice has hardly any accent. “Are you going to Ratahi, mate?” the words seem to darken, like she didn’t want anyone to hear them, but me. “Sure,” I reply as I study her. The beanie she is wearing has a worn and dusty look to it, as so did her grey hoodie; and the jeans had seen better days. I slyly notice a dark cord wrapped around her neck, like a snake constricting its victim. “Name?” she asked
“Uh, personal,”
“Fine. Same here,”
I sighed inwardly. “It’s Kane,”
“Cool. I’m Daes,”

By Sam. G

No comments: