Wednesday, August 13, 2008

SteamPunk

Steampunk Story - By Rosie
Focus on Setting / orientation

The swirling mist tickled my nose as I slowly drifted to the ground, my rickety old hot air balloon just coping with my weight. The last time I had visited Steampunk was over 50 years ago, now my hands and face were as wrinkly as an over ripe tomato.


My package thumped like a drum in my chilled hands, as I slowly walked down the moss covered cobblestone steps. I immediately noticed the city leisurely waking up, as if I had broken an endless curse. Without delay I set off towards the old and weary pencil factory. The steam from the chimneys puffed out as if being smoked from an old pipe. I remembered playing on the old pier which now sat motionless on the mirror like harbour. The only ripples were being made by an old steam boat, puffing and gliding towards the old and bleak lighthouse.


I lightly laid my package on the front step of the factory, its walls now covered with mould and rotting wood. A small shiver ran up and down my spine, as I remembered what the once beautiful Steampunk used to look like. The rich colours of the cool blue of the ocean and rainbow tinted sky had now been taken over by the smoke and smog of the run down, and exhausted industrial buildings.


A silent tear fell from my bewildered eye, as walked back to my ancient balloon. Gliding into the clouds I longed for the old Steampunk to return, to my old and favourite town.







By Rosie Reid

1 comment:

Suzie Vesper said...

This piece of writing is particularly atmospheric. I can almost imagine being there. I enjoyed the descriptions you used. Thanks for sharing your writing.